Monday, July 16, 2012

Training program/Programme d'entrainement


Once I registered for the 5k at Montreal's Oasis Marathon, I immediately started searching for training programs. I finally settled on this intermediate 8 week program but it wasn't specific as to the pace I had to follow. Then the race organizers published a 14 week training program which provided variations depending on the times one wants to achieve. I merged the two together and created my own. I further tweaked it to adjust it to my schedule and in order not to have back to back hardcore sessions: Sunday is for tempo runs, Monday rest, Tuesday intervals, Wednesday 3 or 5 k, Thursday rest, Friday elliptical machine (at first I did an easy run but following a doc's advice, I figured I'd minimize all that impact on my body), Saturday long run aka the bane of my existence. I had to keep reminding myself that my race in August is only a live practice and evaluation for the September race so I don't need to be 100% ready for it. I therefore scaled back the weekly pace increases. But, my program may be tweaked further when I meet a training coach in a couple of weeks, [un]luckily I've had a bad sore neck and shoulder that is slowly going away but it did get me some physiotherapy that includes  a consult with a proper racing coach to learn how to run better and lessen the impact on my body. 

This week in training: It was light as I got partially benched by the therapist. I did a tempo run on Monday, a couple of elliptical sessions to keep the cardio up. Saturday I did my very first 10k run! *Pats self on the back*. I've made running that distance so much bigger then it turned out to be. Because it was a night run, I have to say that it could have many times turned into a CSI episode considering the many poorly lit area I ran through...

Une fois inscrite au 5 km du Marathon Oasis de Montréal, j'ai immédiatement commencé à chercher des programmes d'entrainement. J'ai finalement arrêté mon choix sur cette version intermédiaire en 8 semaines mais il ne donne pas de détails quand à la cadence de course. Les organisateurs du marathon ayant publié un programme en 14 semaines  qui donnent des variations selon le temps que l'on veut atteindre. J'ai fait un mélange de ces deux programmes et ai créé le mien: dimanche course tempo, lundi repos, mardi intervalles, mercredi 3 ou 5 km, jeudi repos, vendredi machine elliptique (au début c'était une course facile mais suite au conseil d'un médecin, je l'ai remplacé par du cardio ayant moins d'impact sur mon corps), samedi course de longue durée (le fléau de ma vie). Je dois constamment me rappeler que la course du mois d'août n'est qu'une pratique générale et une évaluation pour celle de septembre, il n'est pas nécessaire que je sois prête à 100%. J'ai donc rallongé les périodes entre les augmentations de cadences. Il se peut que mon programme soit encore ajusté lorsque je verrai un entraîneur dans deux semaines. Je souffre d'un pincement de nerfs au cou qui m'a mérité quelques visites chez un physiothérapeute et ça inclue une consultation avec un entraîneur de course qui va m'aider à mieux courir sans me briser le corps.

Mon entraînement cette semaine: Cette semaine fut au ralenti vu que mon thérapeute m'a suggéré de faire de l'elliptique pour ne pas aggraver mes douleurs au cou. Cependant j'ai tout de même fait mon premier 10 km samedi! *Tape dans le dos!* J'en ai fait tout une plus grande sinécure que ça a été en réalité. Cependant je doit dire que j'ai courue à la tombée de la nuit et que ¸a a failli se transformer en épisode de Les Experts considérant les secteurs peu éclairé dans lesquels j'ai couru.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger ~Jo~ said...

Loving your running posts. Just started the Couch to 5km program. Sadly I won't be making a 'real run' this year. Both that I was interested in are fully booked, the Montreal Rock N'Roll 5k and the Army Run 5k in Ottawa. Oh well, still gonna try to complete my program.

I admire you for running outside, I joined a gym 'cause rain, wind and all nature stuff are great reasons for me, to skip a run. ;)

7:46 PM  
Blogger Karine said...

Thanks for reading. I would have done the Army Run as well but unfortunately it's on the same day as the RnR. As for running outside, try it. Believe me after a while you'll resent treadmills LOL.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home