Friday, July 13, 2012

Summer bag/Sac d'été

A long delayed project, I finally got this summer bag done a couple of weekends ago.  I designed and created this bag with elements from other bags I've seen and some mistakes that changed the original plan, starting with the over all look. It was supposed to be a hobo bag based on one style that I had seen but I messed up in the cutting (never start a project at 11pm) and thought all were lost. Then I saw a tote bag who's shape was perfect for the mistake I did and took from there.

Un projet longtemps en gestation, je l'ai finalement réalisé il y deux weekend de ça. J'ai créé ce sac avec des éléments empruntés d'autres sac que j'ai vu ainsi que des ajustements faites à cause de mes erreurs, à commencer par la silhouette finale. C'était supposé être un sac de style "hobo" mais ayant fait un mauvais tracé sur le tissu que j'ai ensuite coupé, j'ai cru que tout était foutu. J'ai par la suite vu un sac de style fourre-tout dont la silhouette correspondait parfaitement à ma "gaffe" et ai donc changé mon idée originale.

The initial planned hobo bag only had one strap that would go from side to side, I even got a cute Michael Kors canvas and leather belt to be used as the strap but with the redesign, that went out the window. I would have preferred the straps to be of the same brown upholstery fabric as the side and bottom but I didn't have enough fabric left to do that so I ended using the printed fabric. I added the tabs and rings to attach the straps to the bag because I wasn't sure they would be long enough to be practical.

Dans la version que j'imaginais faire, le sac aurait eu une bandoulière fait d'une ceinture Michael Kors en canevas et cuir mais j'ai du abandonner cette idée. J'aurais aussi préféré utiliser le tissu brun pour faire les bandoulières mais j'en ai manqué. Les rallonges et anneaux ne sont pas qu'esthétiques, je n'était pas certaine que les bandoulières seraient pas assez longues.

I put a seam at the top of te sides in order for the bag to easily remain folded towards the inside. That woks more less.

J'ai placé une couture en haut des côtés afin qu'il restent toujours replié vers l'intérieur. Ça marche plus ou moins.


After putting the outer body together I realized that I should have cut and sewn the duck onto the outer body's piece. At first I thougt I'd have it lose between the outer and the lining but a lightbulb came on: why not simply use it as a lining itself? That was a great decision as it adds to the summery feel of the bag. I still did the contrasting facing because of the way I attached the pockets but otherwise it would still give the bag some shape.

Une fois l'extérieur assemblé, je me suis rendue compte que j'aurais dû y coudre le tissu de coton épais afin de donner du corps au sac mais j'ai pensé que je pouvais certainement accomplir la même chose en l'utisant simplement comme doublure, une bonne décision car ça rajoute au look estival du sac. J'ai quand même fait une parmenture contrastante à cause de la façon que j'y ai assemblé les poches.


The pockets hang outside of the liner and I took that idea from a Gap tote I've had since forever.  And yes, I purposefully chose the contrasting zipper to the fabric.

Les poches sont à l'extérieur de la doublure. J'ai emprunté cette idée d'un sac fourre-tout de Gap que j'ai depuis des années. Et oui j'ai expressément mis des fermoirs contrastants sur les poches.

Finally, the magnetic buttons pieces were easy to install. It was my first time using it yet I didn't need to look it up to figure it out. Even though the facing in interfaced and the button pieces come with a metal backing, I still put an extra piece of fabric to reinforce the whole thing.

Finalement, le bouton magnétique fut facile à installer, je n'ai même pas eu besoin de chercher l'info sur comment faire. Bien que la parmenture soit entoilée et qu'il y a une pièce de métal à l'arrière pour le maintenir en place, j'y ai quand même ajouter un morceau de tissu pour renforcer le tout.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Nicky said...

I have to say -- although I don't comment all the time -- every project inspires me. You're a really talented woman.

Your purse is great!!!!

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home