Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Afro!

Well here it is, the Afro sweater. I was going to wait until it was blocked and the thread woven in until I posted a pic but considering the fact that my sewing room need some serious sorting out I figured I'd show it off now.





It was an easy project to work on. If I had planned the whole thing from the get go I probably would have been able to knit it in two weeks or less. Also, I will use graph paper from now on to make my shaping, it was so much less of a head ache to figure it out. I also the fact that I used a more graphic image rather then the figures I wanted to use. And I'm also glad that it fits properly almost everywhere The intarsia itself was pretty easy to make, it's closely related to Fair isle wich I've done before.


On the other hand, I should have used darts to shape the back instead because of the major difference in measurements between my waist and my bedonkodunk. Because of that it rides up my rear and it forms a point at the waist even though the waist band has the same number of sts throughout. And the sleeve is a tad longer then I wanted.

Finally, intarsia is not my specialty. It was my first time using that technique I guess I will not be volunteering for any paid project that requires it anytime soon.

Conclusion, as soon as I'm done blocking and weaving and the rest, I will be wearing it to death.


Le voici l'Afro chandail. J'allais attendre d'avoir terminé la finition avant de le montrer mais vu que ma salle de couture n'es pas en ordre pour en faire le bloquage, j'ai décidé de le faire tout de suite.





Ce fut un projet facile à faire. Si j'avais pris la peine de tout planifier avant de commencer, je l'aurais probablement terminé en deux semaines. J'ai aussi apprécié le papier quadrillé pour planifié le travail, cela m'a rendu la vie plus facile. J'apprécie que le calcul pour les diminuntions et augmentations a été bien fait. L'intarsia a été facile a travailler, cette technique ressemble un peu au Fair Isle que j'ai déjà fait auparavant.



Par contre, j'aurais dû faire des pinces dans le dos à cause de la grande différence entre ma taille et mes hanches. Le chandail remonte sur mon train arrière et forme un pointe au bas de la bande au bas du malgré le fait qu'il n'y a pas de diminution. Et les manches sont un peu plus longues que je le souhaitais.


Finalement, l'intarsia n'est pas ma spécialité. C'etait la première fois que je l'utilisais et ce n'est pas demain la veille que je me porterai volontaire pour le faire contre rémunération.

En conclusion, sitôt j'aurais la finition, je le porterai souvent.


Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Lori said...

OMG Karine it looks AMAZING! Congrats! (Also on the scarf pattern that everyone's congratulating you on...I think I forgot at the time and so I'm saying it now).

Seriously that is one cool mo'-fo' sweater! (Am I too white to say that?) :)

8:38 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

9:43 PM  
Blogger yaiAnn said...

Wow! You should definitely be proud if that's your first intarsia project! Congrats!

12:11 AM  
Blogger Lara said...

you are awesome! it looks amazing and you wear it well!

12:21 AM  
Blogger K. said...

Damn!!!!!!!! I like, I like mucho mucho!!! What pattern did you use for the sweater? Or did you just wing it?

9:55 AM  
Blogger urbanknitrix said...

AWESOME, I am so loving the sweater - are you going to write the pattern up? Excellent

10:10 AM  
Blogger Jscothammerquist said...

Please Please write the pattern for that sweater !
It is simply fabulous and I really want one. Personally,I think you should submit it to Knitty, or Black Purl.

It could be our team sweater !
The Ebony Elites !

11:17 AM  
Blogger Sheila said...

You did a fantastic job... totally love it!!!!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Nik said...

Girl,

Power to the people!

That fro sweater is cute.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Kamika said...

Wow, I'm loving this! The intarsia turned out so nice.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Fabulous! So, are you going to be offering the chart? nudge, nudge.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I saw your sweater on craftster and I love it so very much! =)Did you find the motif somewhere or it's your design? =)
kisses, Claudia

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sweater is brilliant! Also, you win the award for the best euphemism for arse used in a blog post, ever. :-)

12:46 PM  
Blogger Gracie B. said...

Salut! Mon amie m'a envoyé ton "blog". J'adore le chandall.

I'm a beginner knitter, so it was nice to see what others can do. Also - I've had an afro for years and am routinely unhappy with trying to color it at home. Hi Rez seems to give me much better results than any other company. Also - regardless of what the box says, I put a plastic bag over my hair while the color is setting. Never the less - you look great!

12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Made me wanna raise my fist, LOL! It really is pretty and I will be glad to get to that level of knitting!

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, that is so awesome!

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome karine! fantastic job!!

3:12 PM  
Blogger Christina B. said...

You are awesome. I totally love that sweater.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Fresca said...

This looks terrific!
The colors are gorgeous, and the design is so clean and chic and smart and witty.

Thank you for giving me the link to the finished piece--I had searched "Uhura" and "Angela Davis" on your blog so naturally didn't find it that way.

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home