Sunday, September 09, 2007

Intarsia!

Français plus bas

Yes I've actually progressed on it. Bet you thought it had disappeared in to my abysmal UFO pile. Getting to this pattern took a few detours. At first I did want to do Lt Uhura, then after submitting to the masses Angela Davis won. Then I decided to still do Uhura but doing up the chart proved to be difficult, the gauge being to big to allow for such a detailed picture. While I was working it out I had a brainwave, a simple graphic represention of an afro. I thought of doing the shadow of a nose and the eyes but again the gauge so I decided to do a thick pair of lips instead. You can see that the 'fro was reshaped twice. Actually just once to round it out at the top. The left side is actually a mistake that I fixed.

Knitting this is a bitch, I have to keep track of the decreases and the shaping of the 'fro and at some point, the lips. While I was working those, I had seven yarns sticking at the back, now I only have five. I've had to start over the rows around the lips several times until I finally worked out a system to keep track of the shaping and the colour changes. It's a bit addictive to knit, I've only managed to stop myself long enough to take a pic.

J'ai fait du progrès avec le chandail intarsia (jacquard?). J'ai cru un moment qu'il disparaîtrait dans ma pile de truc non fini. Ça n'a pas été facile de faire le tableau pour le motif. J'avais d'abord pensé faire Lt Uhura mais lorsque j'avais soumis mes différentes idées, Angela Davis l'avait emporté. J'ai par la suite voulu tout de même faire Lt Uhura mais ça a été difficile de faire le tableau, les mailles étant trop gros pour un motif si fin. En essayant de le faire j'ai eu l'idée de faire un visage avec un afro énorme. J'ai finalement simplifié le motif en faisant un afro et une paire de lèvre. J'ai dû redessiner l'afro afin de corriger l'arrondi et j'ai du retracer le côté gauche de l'image car il était trop petit.

Ça n'a pas été facile tricoter ce chandail, je devais m'assurer de faire les diminutions sur le côté et de faire les changements de couleur au bon moment. J'ai eu au maximum sept fils qui pendait de l'ouvrage, maintenant que j'ai terminé les lèvres, j'en ai cinq. J'ai dû recommencé les rangées autour des lèvres plusieurs fois jusqu'à ce que je trouve un système faire le suivi des motifs et diminutions. J'avoue que c'est difficile de mettre ce tricot de côté mais j'ai reussi à le faire le temps de prendre une photo.

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Memeeflye said...

skills girl- that's all I can say. Crazy skills.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Nik said...

I really can't wait to see this one done.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am loving your afro design. I can't wait to see the finished product. I have wanted to do something like this.

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salut! I can't wait to try the scarf. I was wondering if you know of any good stores around montreal where they sell not so expensive yarn. I'm a beginner and I hate it when I ruin a nice ball of yarn!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Sheila said...

WoW... what a challenging project... can't wait to see your FO.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Very cool! I love this. I couldn't tell what I was looking at at first and then, wow.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Fresca said...

Hi!
I've been searching for and posting about connections between Star Trek and 1960s design, which led me, in a roundabout way, to wonder about any possible linkage between Uhura and Angela Davis...
A google search turned up your wonderful knitting project! But searching your blog, I don't see the finished project. Has it come into being?
(I'd love to see it!)
Best to you!
Fresca, non-knitter

3:51 PM  
Blogger Karine said...

Hello Fresca: Here's a link to a search I had to do to find the FO. Maybe I should update my FO list... Thanks for stopping by

http://topstitchgirl.blogspot.com/search?q=intarsia

5:12 PM  
Blogger Fresca said...

Thanks! (I hadn't thought to search "Afro.") The sweater is so rich in color and sharp in design--I love it!

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home