Friday, August 24, 2007

The rasterbator

Français plus bas

This morning my friends and I got up early to go to a funeral, a fun experience on it's own but what made it even more difficilt was that the deceased was 16 years old. She was the daughter of my office's chief clerk and apparently, she litteraly dropped dead of heart failure while hanging out with her friends. Ever since my mom's cousin's funeral 2 years ago I'm a wreck every time I go to one of those or even just thinking about funerals or grief in general. I seem to become a sponge and I absorb the sorrow around me. I think that today was even worse do mostly to her age, people have lost their religion for a lot less. Truly if this was an apt illustration of the expression "Life is unfair". I try not to imagine the shock of receiving that phone call. We didn't go to the service, the viewing was hard enough instead we brunched at Chez Cora. Now I've rented Hot Fuzz and 300 to pull myself together.

I've been wanting to replace the
cat stencils that were decorating my wall since I moved in. When I came across the Rasterbator on Not Martha, I decided to use it to make a blown up picture of my sister, I didn't have one of hers on display at my place so it was also a way of remedying that. You can print it on any size of paper, from a puzzle of 8x11 paper on your printer that you would then assemble to create the image to printing the image on paper big enough to accomodate it at the copy centre. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that I ended up with an 8 inch strip of white strip at the bottom of the paper, so annoying since I had already bought the frame and also the copy centre charges by the square foot so I guess that 10$ down the drain. Now I have a useless frame (of course I thew away the bill) and I have to find a new one.

Anyway, I chose to make the dots 17 mm in diameter and I picked a sepia tone picture. I love the end result just not the frame issue. Now my issue is that I want to get rid of this stereo system. It used to be my dad's and he gave it to me when I moved to my new place and honestly, other then the speakers, it is just gathering dust. I don't know what to, I don't want to throw it away but I would be more than happy to give it away.




I haven't posted pics of my WIPs for a bit basically it looks exactly like last time:

My scarf is coming along. I'm up to my fourth skein and it will probably be the last one. Normally I like my scarves to be six feet long but I think that four feet will do it since it will be more decorative then useful.







The Hundertwasser sock... has barely moved since he last spring. I've decided to work on it in the metro but since the ride to work takes about 10 minutes, I barely have time to knit two rows. I'd say it's half inching along.



Here's the intarsia sweater. Obviously this is the back. No there's nothing wrong with the neck, it will be done in the round once I'm done with the back and the sleeves.





Ce matin mes amies et moi sommes allé aux funérailles d'une jeune fille de 16 ans. Elle était la fille du commis-chef du bureau et apparemment elle est littéralement tombée morte d'une insuffisance cardiaque alors qu'elle s'amusait aves des amis et n'avait présenté aucun signe auparavant qui pourrait suggérer qu'une tragédie s'en venait. Depuis les funérailles du cousin de ma mère il y a deux ans, je ne suis plus capable de retenir mes larmes face à la douleur des autres surtout lors d'enterrement ou en voyant quelqu'un pleurer à l'écran comme lors de rapatriement des corps des soldats en Afghanistan. Cependant je crois que le fait qu'elle soit si jeune m'a touché encore plus profondément, une illustration de l'expression « La vie est injuste » s'il en est un. Je préfère ne pas m'imaginer le choc de recevoir l'appel annonçant la perte d'un enfant. Nous ne sommes pas allé à la messe, l'exposition étant assez difficile comme ça, nous sommes plutôt allé déjeuner Chez Cora afin de se remonter le moral. J'ai loué 300 ainsi que Super Flic afin de penser à quelque chose de plus gai...

Cela fait un bout de temps que je veux me débarrasser des pochoirs de mes chats qui ornent le mur de mon salon depuis que j'ai améngé. Je les avait fait lorsque j'avais déménagé et essentiellement servent de bouche-trou car je n'aime pas des murs vides. En allant sur le blogue Not Martha, j'y ait trouvé un lien pour The Rasterbator, un site qui convertit une photo en série de point, ce qui permet de l'agrandir. Le nom du site, qui évoque des activités plutôt solitaire, est en fait un jeu de mot avec "rasterize" qui veut dire tramage, une méthode qui transforme une image en points. On peut les imprimer sur son imprimante sur des feuilles format lettere ou l'envoyer à un centre d'impression comme j'ai fait pour avoir une feuille assez grande pour accommoder l'image. Malheureusement, je n'avait pas compris que lorsque le commis disait qu'il y avait une bande blanche au bas de la feuille qu'elle était 8 pouces de large et considérant que l'impression se paie au pied carré, ça fait environ 10$ que j'ai gaspillé. Maintenant il me faut trouver un cadre pour remplacer celui que j'avais acheté.

Pour l'impression, j'avais choisi une photo aux couleurs sépia et j'ai décidé de faire les points 17 mm de diamètre. J'aime bien le résultat final. Maintenant il me faut absolument me débarrasser de ce système stéréo. Il appartenait à mon père et il m'en a fait cadeau lorsque j'ai déménagé et ne fait que ramasser la poussière depuis. Je ne veux pas le jeter et serai très contente de le donner.

Cela fait un bout de temps que je n'avais pas montrer des photos de mes projets en progression mais de toute façon, cela ressemble pas mal à la dernière fois:

Le foulard progresse. J'en suis rendu à ma quatrième balle de laine et ce sera sûrement la dernière. Je préfère que mes foulards soient six pieds de long mais vu qu'il sera surtout décoratif, quatre pieds sera assez.







Par contre la chaussette Hunderwasser est presqu'au même point. J'ai décidé de travailler dessus en allant et revenant du boulot mais vu que le voyage ne prend que 10 minutes, je n'ai le temps que de tricoter 2 rangées à la fois.




Finalement, le dos de chandail qui aura un motif à l'avant. Le haut sera terminé avec une aiguille circulaire une fois le tous assembé.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger K. said...

I totally feel you about the funeral thing, I don't deal very well either. The only comfort is that time (no matter how much) eventually heals all wounds...I think...

I love the picture of your sister, it's really nice with the dots, very design-chic!

12:02 PM  
Blogger ~Jo~ said...

What a beautiful picture of your sister. I am very intrigued by the Rasterbator, I should give it a try though. :)

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home