Sunday, March 18, 2007

Irish week-end/Week-end irlandais

Finally got some sewing done today. Here's a preview of the three-quarter circular skirt. It's a copy of this Simplicity pattern I almost bought until I realized I could easily make that pattern myself. The fabric is a cotton faux-gingham. I made the choice of cutting the top piece on the bias because I thought that having a vertical stripe wouldn't look good but I also thought that cutting them on the horizontal wouldn't be flattering. The interfacing that I have all are fusible but I didn't want to use it on this fabric because I'd lose the corrugation (is that a word?) because of the ironing so I just used some of the cotton muslin I have. And I used an invisible zipper. But that's not even a question, I've been using them since fashion school and I didn't realize it but at some point I got good at putting them in with a regular zipper foot without breaking a sweat or having to start over. I've been trying to preach their use on Craftster but unfortunately, some still view them as a major headache. I just find regular zipper seams look like a lizard ridge and when I see them in the rear of tight fitting pants, I find that they draw the eye there, but that could just be me. Next up, mastering my rolled hem foot.

Last week I went outside in my sweat pants and T-shirt on this very spot and stayed there for a good ten minutes while took a picture of my circ shrug. This 2006-2007 winter is for the birds. My friend the labelwhore is back from Laos where he spent 6 months and when he left it was 30°C+ whereas it was -30°C with the wind chill when he landed two weeks ago. I told him that what he's seen in the few days he'd been here when we spoke was pretty much representative of our winter. Maybe it's the early Daylight savings time but I found myself feeling blah and tired all week, in fact too tired to actually knit! That shrug should be done by now but I didn't touch it all week except yesteday.


Enfin j'ai fait de la couture aujourd'hui. Voici un aperçu de la jupe trois-quart circulaire. C'est une copie du patron Simplicity que j'ai failli acheté mais je me suis ravisée en me disant que je pouvais le faire moi-même. J'ai fait le choix de couper l'empiècement du haut sur la biais parce selon moi, avoir les rayures verticales ne seraient pas très jolies et les couper sur l'horizontal ne serait pas très flatteur. Je n'avais pas d'entoilage non thermocollant alors j'ai tout simplement utilisé du coton non blanchi que j'avais. Je ne voulais pas utiliser de l'entoilage thermocollant car le ne voulais pas perdre la texture du tissu au repassage. J'ai aussi utilisé une fermeture éclaire invisible, mais en fait j'utilise toujours des fermoirs invisibles depuis que je suis sortie de l'école de mode, sans m'en rendre compte je suis devenue habile à les poser avec un pied à zip sans faire de gaffe. J'essaye de convaincre les filles de Craftster à l'utiliser mais malheureusement certaines les voient comme une trop difficile à manipuler. Je trouve que les fermoirs ordinaires forment une côte sous le tissu et lorsque j'en vois à l'arrière d'un pantalon ajusté, je trouve que cela y attire l'oeil. Prochaine étape, maîtriser mon pied à ourlet.

Dimanche dernier je suis sortie en pantalon en coton ouaté et t-shirt à cet endroit exact et suis restée dehors près de 10 minutes le temps de prendre les photos de mon boléro circulaire. Cet hiver est à oublier. Mon ami la pute de luxe est de retour de Laos où il a passé six mois et en partant de là-bas (via Bangkok) il faisait plus de 30°C alors qu'à l'atterrissage il faisait -30°C avec le vent. Je lui ai dit qu'il a fait l'expérience de tout notre hiver en une semaine. Je ne sais pas si l'heure avancée trop avancée est la cause de mon blues et ma fatigue cette semaine, j'étais même trop fatiguée pour tricoter! Je devrais avoir déjà terminé mon boléro mais je ne l'ai touché qu'hier.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Ali P said...

The skirt is lovely. So springtimey and fresh!
I met your labelwhore friend at an Effiloche stitch and bitch night! He was working on the most divine dress and had some beading samples from the line he is planning.
Wish I had the skills and talents you two had. I'd be much better dressed!

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home