Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Rachel


I've cast on for my latest knit project, the Rachel hat. I don't know why I'm even bothering to knit a warmer tuque, I'm sure you've heard about how some European publicists, who were pretty sure to have some snow on the ground here in Montreal, had to recreate a winter wonderland to shoot a car ad. Anyway, Rachel is so called because I saw a picture of Rachel Bilson (the OC, Adam Brody's ex) wearing a Tam style beret and I liked it so I decided to make one. After making countless calculations for a cabled version, and starting to work on them, I decided that I'd rather do a rib, except that I chose a Fischerman's rib (on a circ that means knit one row, p1, knit 1 in the following st below in the next row). I doubled up the yarn, again, a waist of time in our current climate but then I've decided to wait until next year before freaking out, one season does not a new weather pattern make, I do recall one winter back in high school where it rained in January. This is supposed to be the right side but I have to say, I'm really liking the reverse too. I'll see how it goes.


I've also decided to cast on for the Bayerische socks. I was going to splurge on Addis but then I figured I'd try the poor man's approach: this is a pair of Prym's 2mm that I bought from the chickas over at Ariadne. I simply dunked the needles' wire in boiling water for a few second and immediately upon removing them I stretched them out. No more coiling to deal with. Now, I don't know if that would work with the thicker gaged wires on my larger needles but I guess I'd just have to leave them in for a bit longer.


J'ai monter les mailles pour mon dernier projet tricot, la tuque Rachel. C'est à se demander si ça vaut la peine d'en faire une autre, je suis certaine que vous avez entendu parlé de ces publicitaires européen qui voulant tourner une scène hivernale dans la région de Montréal ont du la créer de toute pièce avec la neige artificielle. Mais revenons à la tuque, elle est ainsi nommée pour l'actrice Rachel Bilson qui en portait une dans un magazine. Après avoir fait toutes sortes de calcul pour faire des torsades, et que j'avais commencé à en faire, j'ai décidé de faire des côtes. Le point que j'ai choisi est travaillé comme suit sur des aiguilles circulaires: une rangée à l'endroit suivit une autre où on alterne une maille à l'envers et une autre à l'endroit mais faite dans la maille du dessous). Je tricote en fil double, encore une fois une perte de temps en ces temps cléments. Contrairement à d'autres, je préfère attendre l'année prochaine avant de crier à la catastrophe écologique, une saison hors norme est justement hors normes, je me souviens d'un janvier pluvieux quand j'étais ado. Pour revenir encore à la tuque, ceci est l'endroit mais j'aime tout autant l'envers, peut-être même plus. On verra.


J'ai aussi décidé de monter les mailles pour les chaussettes Bayerische. J'allais acheter les aiguilles AddisTurbo, mais je voulais essayer une méthode pour une version moins dispendieuse. Ceux-ci sont les aiguilles Prym que j'ai acheté auprès des filles d'Ariadne (hé, fil d'Arianne, filles d'Ariadne...). J'ai tout simplement trempé leurs cables dans de l'eau bouillante pendant quelques secondes et les ai étirés tout de suite en les sortant de l'eau. Plus de tire-bouchon. Je ne sais pas si ça marcherait aussi facilement pour les câbles plus épaisses des aiguilles plus grosse mais j'imagine que oui si on les trempe un peu plus longtemps.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger K. said...

You should try knitting a sock on one long circular, it zooms right by you...I finished a sock in like...12hours...

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home