Monday, September 11, 2006

In memoriam



I was somewhere along the border between Belgium and Germany when the planes hit the Twin Towers. I was a group of reservists from my unit who were participating in an exchange with the Belgian army at the exact time the first plane struck I was looking at the innards of a truck. If I remember correctly, there had been a few accidents involving airlines and before we left we made jokes about how we would meet a fiery end aboard the airline (it was a military flight). It was a couple of hours after the first plane struck that we got the first rumours as to what happened. We were in a store when I heard a lady say that a Boeing had exploded at JFK. I wanted to dismiss what she said but then I figured I'd wait to hear what really happened. One of our sergeants when to look at a television while we were spit shining out boots for a parade the next day (we were presenting the Manneke pis with clothes) when he came back and gave us the details, which of course turned to be much worse then we expected. We, like most around the world I supposed, became information fiends, we watched the international news for every detail possible, by the time we made to Brussels the next day (Sept 12) every copy of the USA Today were gone all the while we tried to reach our families back home and I have quite a few in the NYC area so I really was concerned. We were supposed to come back on the 14th but since the airspace was closed we came back on the 17th. I was struck when I came back by the fact that it was no longer front news when I got home. It was a long time before I could watch the images of the attack againg but the idea of seeing the people making the decision to jump to their death is still too much for me to bear.

J'étais quelque part le long de la frontière entre la Belgique et l'Allemagne au moment que les avions ont frappé les Tours jumelles. J'y étais avec un groupe de réservistes de mon unité et nous participions dans un échange avec l'Armée belge et au moment exact que les avions ont frappé les tours, je regardais sous le capot d'un camion. Si je me souviens bien, dans les mois avant de partir il y avait eu quelques accidents impliquant des avions et au moment de partir, nous faisions des blagues disant comment nous allions tous mourir tragiquement en chemin pour l'Europe (nous volions sur un vol militaire). Environ deux heures après que le premier avion s'est encastré la première tour, nous entendions les premières rumeurs disant qu'il s'était passé quelque chose de grave. Une dame disait qu'un Boeing avait explosé à l'aéroport JFK et me disant qu'il devait sûrement avoir un fond de vérité et j'attendais voir ce qu'il en serait. Un peu plus tard, pendant que nous polissions nos bottes de parade (nous devions présenté un uniforme au Manneke pis) lorsque notre sergent qui était allé aux nouvelles et venu nous conter ce qui s'était passé et évidemment c'était pire que ce nous pouvions imaginer. À ce moment là, nous sommes allé à la chasse de toute source d'information que nous pouvions trouver. Le lendemain à Bruxelles, il ne restait plus une seule copie du USA Today et nous essayons tous d'appeller à la maison pour savoir si tout allait bien. Nous étions supposé rentre le 14 septembre mais vu l'espace aérien avait été fermé, nous sommes revenu le 17 septembre. Ce qui m'a frappé à mon retour était le fait que les événements n'étaient plus à l'avant scène de l'actualité. Cela a pris quelques mois avait que je puisse revoir les images des attentats à la télé mais ces gens qui sautent des tours en flamme, trop pour moi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home