Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Jupe Olive Heather Skirt

Pattern/Patron: Olive Heather Skirt de/par Véronik Avery
Yarn/Fil: Diamond Galway Heather
Time Required/Temps requis: One week/Une semaine Modifications: See below/Voir Aligné à gaucheci-bas

So far, with all the natural occurrences that confirms that the 2012 Armageddon is around the corner, one has gone unnoticed: hell has frozen over. Why? Because I had pretty much sworn to myself that's when I'd ever knit myself a skirt. How did I end up making this one? Well, add this to the latest spur of the moment knitting projects that I've done so far this year. First, I fell in love with the dresses in Kristina McGowan's Modern Top Down Knitting and when I ordered it, I also got Véronik Avery's Knitting 24/7. Somehow I figure that a skirt wasn't far off a dress. Her Olive Heather skirt caught my eye, it drove me to dig in my yarn stash where I found this Diamond Galway Heathers yarn, bought about 5 years ago. In fact I had started making a poncho with in (worked on it when I was in London… in 2006).

Because my top and bottom half are two different sizes, I cast on the number of stitches for the size Large and when I started the decreases for the waist I made extra decreases to have the waist at a size Small, forming two darts at the front and four at the back (when you have a booty, four darts makes for better shaping). I was contemplating adding elastic to the yarn when making the ribbed waistband but following a note in Ravelry I crocheted a thin elastic band at the bottom of the rib using a technique from McGowan's book and that greatly helped to keep it in place.

My choosing to do a wet block made the skirt a couple inches longer then the finished measurements in the patter, though my row gauge was off so I knew that would probably happen. The crochet stitches tightened the waist opening a bit, making it of a high waist skirt on me since it sits around my belly button. I think I'll crochet some narrow belt loops just under the ribbed edge, that should give me another option on how to wear it. One reason why I chose to do a wet block: I used the yarn from my poncho without ripping it and stretching out the kinks first, resulting a textured stitch that bothered me (combined with this shade of green it looked like a grass skirt, lesson learned). Washing it took care of that even if I can still see that the stitches are not uniform but I'll probably stop noticing this over time.

Overall, I absolutely love this skirt. I will try to wear it as much a few ties before it gets too warm.

PS: this is actually the second item I made from Véronik's book. I am listed in the credits as one of the needles for hire.

Avec tous les phénomènes naturels qui semblent confirmer la fin du monde en 2012, il y en a un qui est passé inaperçu: les poules ont maintenant des dents. Pourquoi? Parce que j'ai toujours pensé que ce serait à ce moment-là que je me tricoterais une jupe. Ceci est donc un autre projet que j'ai fait sur un coup de tête cette année. Ça a commencé lorsque je suis tombée par hasard sur le livre Mordern Top Down Knitting de Kristina McGowan et ai adoré presque tous les modèles du livre. En le commandant en ligne j'en ai profité pour enfin me procurer Knitting 24/7 de Véronik Avery et cette jupe est ce qui m'a frappé en premier. Fouillant dans ma réserve de fil je suis tombé sur le fil Galway Heathers de Diamond que je me suis procuré il y a près de cinq ans. En fait j'avais même commencé à me faire un poncho avec, sur lequel j'aivais travaillé lorsque j'ai été à Londres … 2006.

Ayant deux tailles différentes au haut et bas du corps, j'ai monté le nombre de maille nécessaires pour la taille Large et lorsque j'ai commencé à faire les diminutions nécessaires pour la bande de taille j'en ai fait des supplémentaires afin de afin que la taille soit de grandeur petite, formant deux pinces à l'avant et quatre à l'arrière (lorsqu'on a un généreux popotin comme moi quatre pinces est l'idéal pour donner une meilleure forme au vêtement). J'ai pensé incorporer un élastique avec le fil au moment de former le point de côte à la bande de taille mais suivant un exemple vu sur Ravelry j'ai employé une technique du livre de McGowan et ai posé un élastique à la base de la bande de taille au crochet.

Le fait que je forme la jupe en la lavant a résulté que la jupe s'est retrouvé à être plus long de deux pouces que les mesures finales dans le patron mais je crois que mon échantillon un peu plus long au niveau des rangées en est surement la cause. Les points de crochet à la taille ont en quelque peu restreint l'ouverture, du coup faisant de la jupe un modèle à taille haute vu qu'elle s'appuie au niveau de mon nombril. Je crois que je rajouterai des passants pour une ceinture mince, me donnant ainsi une autre façon de la porter. Une raison pour laquelle j'ai choisi de former la jupe en la lavant est que j'ai utilisé le fil du poncho sans le défaire ni le laver pour enlever la texture crépue. Résultat: on aurait dit que la jupe était faite avec un tapis de faux gazon. En tout cas je retiens cette leçon. C'est beaucoup moins apparent même si je le vois encore.

Dans l'ensemble j'adore cette jupe, je la porterai quelque fois avant qu'il ne fasse trop chaud.

PS: C'est est en fait le second projet du livre de Véronik que je fais. Mon nom se trouve dans la liste de mercenaires de l'aiguille dans les dernières pages…








Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Lara said...

That is the best knit skirt I've ever seen and I like both of the ways you have styled it here.

4:44 AM  
Blogger Gabrielle said...

Wow - this skirt is gorgeous - well done!

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, just found your blog and I am enjoying your creations.
Heather

3:39 AM  
Blogger Sheila said...

Ohh my your skirt is Awesome..... love it, love the color, the waist shaping... totally love it.

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home