Sunday, September 26, 2010

Misss Prissy

Pattern/Patron: Miss Prissy by/par Oh Sew Dollin

Fabric/Tissu: Cotton muslin that I dyed brown for the body, printed cotton for the dress and bloomers (not seen but it's the same fabric I used for the ribbons in the hair) / Toile coton que j'ai teint brun pour le corps et, coton imprimé pour les robes et culottes (non montrées mais c'est le même tissu que le ruban dans les cheveux

Time required/Temps requis: Under ten hours/un peu moins d'une dizaine d'heure

Modifications: I decided to make her facial features more ethnic/J'ai rendu les trait du visage plus ethnique

A while back I set out to find black dolls for my niece and was unable to find any in Montreal. Being a seamstress I figured that I'd simply make some for her. A quick google search and I came across Oh Sew Dollin's Etsy shop where I promptly purchased the Miss Prissy pattern.

I dyed some cotton muslin from my stash brown because I couldn't find a shade that I liked in the fabric store. Overall it was an easy and fun project to do. Stuffing the body was a bit tricky because the arms and legs are essentially small tubes but otherwise, no biggie. The facial traits were already on the pattern but when I tried to transfer them they were barely visible so I figured that I'd them free hand. And while I was at it, I gave the dolls more ethnic features for the nose and lips.

How did my niece like them? She took them out of the bag, put them aside and promptly started playing with the bag and filler paper...


Il y a quelques temps, j'ai essayé avec insuccès de trouver des poupées noires pour ma nièce. Étant couturière je me suis dit que j'allais tout simplement les lui en faire. Une recherche rapide m'a amené au site de Oh Sew Dollin où j'ai acheté le patron Miss Prissy.

Ce fut un projet assez facile et amusant à faire. Rembourrer le corps ne fut pas une mince affaire étant donné que les jambes et bras sont essentiellement des petits tubes mais sinon, aucun problème. Il y avait des traits du visage sur le patron mais ils n'étaient pas très visibles lorsque j'ai voulu les transférés sur le tissu, je les ai donc faits à mains levées. Et tant qu'a faire, j'ai rendu le nez et les lèvres plus ethniques.

Qu'à fait ma nièce lorsqu'elles les a reçues? Elle les a mis de côtés pour se concentrer plutôt sur le sac et papier d'emballage qui les contenaient.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahaha....she sounds like my cats :O) Love the dolls and I hear ya about the availability of black dolls. Very hard to find. But I do love making toys and then you can make the black dolls look black instead of white with slightly different features if that. Great job!

11:16 PM  
Blogger Nik said...

I love that you made those dolls when you couldn't find what you were looking for. That's totally awesome. How old is your neice?

1:06 PM  
Blogger Karine said...

Thank you and my niece is two now.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Ali P said...

These dolls are amazing, K. Beautifully done. Bravo.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Paule Mackrous said...

Your blog is so interesting!!! Really! These dolls are amazing!!! :D

10:00 AM  
Blogger Sheila said...

You did an Awesome job and despite her immediately taking interest in the paper wrapping, she will enjoy her Miss Prissy dolls... they are so cute.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Gorgeous dolls :0)

7:41 PM  
Blogger Amina said...

les poupees sont trop mimis :)

1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home