Wednesday, July 19, 2006

100th post/100e message

Français plus bas


I was able to squeeze a picture out of my defective digital camera so I'm able to post a picture of my latest project. A life-size fertility goddess statue done in duct tape. Seriously, I've decided to make a dress form using my body because, well, why would I want to wrap up someone else's? Anyhow, I had seen on Crafster a couple of references on using duct tape to make a dress form but I didn't like the amateurish look on some of them. I went looking online for a professional one and I could have gotten one close to my size at 280$US. A stone's trow away from Montreal's Little-World-Cup-Soccer-winner (and sadly they'll never let us forget...), the mannequins are 500$C new, 350$ for a used, falling apart kind. I was still trying to find one online when I came across this I was so excited, especially when I saw they even had instructions for a movable stand. A sewing project that involved a trip to the hardware store? I'm so there. My sister and I first tried on Sunday evening and it turns out that the packing tape I got was the waxed kind, couldn't really tell since it was wrapped in plastic. That's why this oeuvre is in duct tape. Tried again on Monday evening, based on the erroneous information written that said it would take an hour to tape up this much skin, my sister set about to do just that, while she was on a medical fast no less. Let me tell you, that is not something you want to see, a grown woman going all loopy from being on an empty stomach and standing on her feet for three hours. That right, that's how long it took, you're looking at anywhere from 3 to 7-8 layers of duct tape depending on the area. I think that deserves a movie on me, and maybe a free meal too. I wanted to take pictures along the way but after a while I just wanted to get it over with. I'm now finally able to see what I actually look like. Every time I thought maybe the dress form was wrong I would double check with my measuring tape and no, a near perfect copy. I thought the shoulders were all wonky, one look in the mirror told my that's how I was too. Oh well. Now I'm done working on the dress form, it's on it's stand, all filled with batting. Now the I have to make the fabric cover.


J'ai été capable de prendre une photo avec ma caméra défectueuse et donc je peux montrer mon dernier projet. Une statue de Venus de fertilité grandeur nature. En réalité, je me suis fait un mannequin avec du gros ruban collant gris en utilisant mon corps comme moule. J'avais vu sur Craftster plusieurs références sur comment en faire mais les résultats que j'ai vu jusqu'à présent ne me disaient rien qui vaille. J'ai essayé d'en chercher un mannequin professionnel sur le web et il y avait pour environ 280$US. Pas loin de la Petite Nous-sommes-les-champions-de-la-Coupe-du-Monde-de-Soccer (et-nous-célébrerons-jusqu'à-la-prochaine-finale), il y en avait à 500$Can à neuf ou 350$Can extrêmement usagé. J'ai tout de même essayé d'en trouver un sur le web quand je suis tombée sur cet article. En plus qu'il y avait aussi des instructions pour un piédestal sur roue. Alors ça, ça valait la peine. J'ai fait un tour chez le quincaillier, le fournisseur d'article de bureau et la mercerie pour la tuyauterie et autre matériel nécessaire et nous nous sommes mises ma soeur et moi à l'oeuvre dimanche soir. Malheureusement le ruban gommant en papier était ciré ce qui empêchait de coller comme il faut. Nous avons ressayer lundi soir, pensant, tel que c'était écrit dans l'article, que ça allait prendre une heure. Trois heures plus tard, mon calvaire était fini (celui de ma soeur aussi considérant qu'elle était à jeun pour des raisons médical, pas très beau à voir à la fin je dois vous dire). Ce que vous regardez là a entre 3 à 7-8 couches de ruban, selon la partie du corps. Je crois que ça mérite une soirée au cinéma et peut-être même un dîner ou souper en remerciement pour l'aide. Je voulais prendre des photos en cours de route mais j'avais tout simplement hâte d'en finir au plus tôt. Ça fait longtemps que je souhaitais voir ce dont j'avais vraiment l'air. À chaque fois que je crois que le mannequin ne m'est pas une copie fidèle, je suis le ruban à mesurer qui me prouve le contraire. Même mes épaules sont asymétriques. Maintenant, j'ai fini de travailler sur la mannequin même, je l'ai même rembourré et il est maintenant installé sur le piédestal. Il ne me reste qu'à en faire le dessus en tissu.

1 Comments:

Blogger pat said...

Cheers/ Allo!

This is seriously one cool project - and definitely more accurate and form fitting than the very pricey dress forms. Kinda gives a whole new meaning to casting.

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home