Saturday, June 27, 2009

Roman Blinds/Stores romains

When I bought my place I told myself that the vertical blinds had to go. Five years later I've finally done it. Part of the problem was I had no idea what to do and I wanted something that wouldn't stop my cats from being on the window sill, I don't let them go outside so I don't want to cut their view of the world. Still, it shouldn't have taken me five years to make a decision. All in all it was a quick project to do and I'm quite satisfied with the results.

Lorsque j'ai acheté mon condo la première chose que je me suis dite est que les stores verticaux devaient disparaitre. Cinq ans plus tard, c'est chose faite. Le problème était que je voulais un couvre fenêtre qui n'empêcherait pas les chats d'avoir une vue sur le monde extérieur, surtout vu qu'ils ne mettent pas les pattes dehors. Tout de même, ça n'aurait pas dû prendre cinq ans pour faire un choix. Ceci étant dit, ce fut un projet rapide à faire et je suis satisfaite des résultats.



Click on the pics for a larger view.

Cliquez sur les photos pour les agrandir

Finally they're up. This fabric is the third one I purchased for the Roman blinds, I bought this after I cut the second fabric I got. Initially I was going to use the instructions from Curtains, Blinds and Valances until I realized that I didn't get enough fabric for the lining, at least for the version in the book. So since every thing can be found online, I found these instructions, I need about 3 metres of fabric for the front but I bought 3.5 meters as a precaution in case I needed extra fabric to make the pattern align on both panels of the blinds. In the end, that was unnecessary but it could have easily been the other way around.

I don't know if the book has been corrected since I bought it but there's a mistake in the calculations for the length measurement of the fabric for the front. They have you add 4" (10cm) to the measurement for the length of the window but then they have you make a total of 6 3/8" (16 cm) of folds for the top and bottom hem.


Enfin, ils sont installés. Le tissu que vous voyez est en fait le troisième que j'ai acheté pour faire ces stores, en plus j'avais déjà coupé le tissu précédent lorsque j'ai changé d'idée. Au début j'allais suivre les instructions du livre Curtains, Blinds and Valances jusqu'à ce que je me rende compte que je n'avais pas assez de tissu pour la doublure, du moins, pour la version du livre. J'ai donc cherché sur internet et j'ai trouvé ces instructions. J'avais besoin d'environ trois mètres pour faire ces rideaux mais pour être certaines d'avoir assez de tissu pour le motif soit aligné à l'horizontal sur les deux panneaux, j'en ai acheté 3.5m par précaution. Finalement ce n'était pas nécessaire mais ça aurait facilement pu être le contraire.

Je ne sais pas si le livre a été corrigé depuis que je l'ai acheté mais dans le mien, on nous fait rajouter 10 cm à la longueur de la fenêtre pour avoir la longueur de la pièce du devant à être couper. Mais ensuite, on nous fait faire un total de 16 cm en plis pour les ourlets du haut et de bas.



A view from outside with the windows closed. Notice the alignment in with rod casings? That's precision work! The liner fabric is supposed to block sunlight (don't think it's 100% because I didn't want it to be too heavy for the initial fabric that I had chosen) but in any case I wanted a white fabric to match my neighbours windows. Not an imposed condo rule, just thought it would look better this way.

Une vue de l'extérieur. Vous remarquez l'alignement des fourreaux pour les goujons? Ça c'est du travail de précision. La doublure coupe la lumière (pas à 100% car je ne voulais pas que la doublure soit trop lourde pour mon premier choix de tissu) mais de toute manière je voulais que l'envers des rideaux soit blanc pour ne pas jurer avec les rideaux et stores de mes voisins. Ce n'est pas imposé dans nos règles de condo, simplement une initiative de ma part.



A close up of a dowel rod casing. In the book version, you're supposed to add an inch of fabric to the length measurement for the front fabric because for each casing because they're simply sewn pleats in which I would have inserted the dowels. Since I didn't have enough fabric to do that, I had to cut 2" wide strips (lengthwise in my leftover liner fabric) that I made into sleeves (like you'd make a dress strap) and then the sleeves where topstitched onto the blinds. I have to say I like this method because it allowed me to do the blinds entirely by machine, unlike the book that has you sew the liner onto the front by hand because of built in dowel sleeves.

Une vue rapprochée de la gaine pour le goujon. Dans le livre on doit rajouter 2.5cm pour chaque gaine requise à la longueur totale de la pièce devant u rifeau pour avoir la longueur de la doublure mais je n'avais pas assez de tissu pour faire ça. J'ai donc du couper des longues pièces larges de 5cm dans le sens de la longueur dans ce qu'il me restait de doublure que j'ai assemblées comme si je voulais faire des bretelles pour une robe. Ensuite la gaine est cousue sur le rideau.



Close up of some hardware.

La quincaillerie.



If you click on the pic you'll see a view of my place from the street. I should have lit the living room at the back, that way you'd see that in spite if the blinds being lifted, the vinyl frosting on the window keeps bystanders from having a full view of my place, especially my usually messy kitchen.

Si vous cliquez sur la photo, vous aurez une vue de mon condo de la rue. J'aurais du allumer la lumière du salon au fond, ainsi vous pourriez constaté que malgré le fait que les rideaux soit levés, le vinyle givré sur la fenêtre empêche d'avoir une vue au complet de chez moi, surtout que ma cuisine est rarement à l'ordre.



This is how my blinds will remain this weekend as way to train the pleats to automatically form this way when the blinds are folded up. And why is the top fold shorter then the others you ask? Because after sewing the sleeves I did a dry fit of the blind and it turned out to be too long. So I shortened by the amount necessary but I didn't want to remove the sleeves and redo the spacing and besides, I doubt they'll be pulled open that far up anyway.

Pour ce weekend, les rideaux resteront complètement ouvert afin que les plis se forment automatiquement lorsque les rideaux sont remontés. La raison pour laquelle le plis du haut est plus court que les autres est que lorsque j'ai fait un essai, une fois le tout assemblé, je me suis rendue compte que le rideau était trop long. Je l'ai raccourci mais j'ai préféré ne pas réespacer les gaines. De toute façons, ces rideaux seront rarement ouverts jusqu'en haut.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sheila said...

Those are fabulous roman shades. You did a fantastic job.

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome job!!! They are going to be such pleasure to look at over the upcoming years. Gotta love home improvements

11:19 PM  
Blogger urbanknitrix said...

I love it!! I want roman shades for my upstairs bathroom. I love your fabric choice. Kudos

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home