Tuesday, July 20, 2010

At this point/En ce moment

So after a long time of looking like a mess, I have finally decided tackle the sewing room. I was hoping to be further along at this time, even thought I'd posting the finished work but bad planning on the painting and making of some of the projects is what put me behind on the reorganization.

Après un très long moment en sens dessus dessous, je me suis finalement atteler à la tache de mettre ma salle de couture en ordre. Je croyais qu'en ce moment je montrerais le produit final mais bon, un mauvaise planification de la peinture et du retard dans d'autres projets connexes retarde la finition du projet.

Click on the pics to see a larger version

Cliquez sur les photos pour en voir une version plus large

Starting point two Sundays ago.

Point de départ il y deux dimanches.


When I finished painting, I immediately put my organized patterns back on the shelving to have some sense of progress. Putting the room back together is almost like that logic puzzle where you have a have to move back and forth while removing some stuff, put it somewhere else before you get back to it.

Lorsque j'ai terminé de peindre, j'ai tout de suite remis les patrons sur l'étagère afin d'avoir un sentiment d'avoir avancé. Remettre la chambre en ordre s'apparente à un problème de logique où l'on avance et recule avant de se rendre à la fin.

I had this pegboard on a small book case that I used to have. When I took it apart I kept it for years telling myself that one day it would be useful and finally I get to use it.

Ce panneau perforé faisait parti d'une petite bibliothèque que j'avais défait il y quelques années. Je l'ai gardé me disant qu'il servirait un jour et c'est finalement le cas.

But this is realy where I started putting things back together again last night. I was dreading getting started putting things back, thinking it would be tedious but really, it was very meditative and you kind of get obsessed after a while. And really, it's no different then when you're unpacking after a move.

The shelves at the top are what my grandmother would have called a happy accident. I initially planned on having two shelves but realizing that I would be wasting space, I went back to the reno centre and got another plank to make an extra row, only to realize that it was an inch wider then the others. At first I thought of taking it back but then I figured that the bottom shelf would just be larger. This allowed me to put the overlock threads two rows deep (even if you can't tell in this pic).

The sewing thread board is a 2x8x6 that I had cut in half and then simply attached together with simple clamps. Unlike the tutorial I posted yesterday, I used 1.5" masking tape to mark off the nails' positions, starting off 1" from all sides. After putting in the first 7 or 8 vertical rows on the right I realized that there was no way that would accommodate my larger spools. So I figured that I'd skip one vertical and horizontal row for the next ones save the last row on the left that I made like the ones on the right. I was certain that I'd have dozens of empty nails. The natural resting position of my hand on the board while I was hammering is what determined their angle, I just eyeballed the alignment, using the vertical lines I had traced on the masking tape as a guide.

Bon, c'est avec ceci que j'ai vraiment commencé à remettre tout ça en place. Je croyais que cela serait ennuyeux à mourir mais en fait c'est très méditatif et on en devient un peu obsédé après un certain temps.

Les étagères du dessus sont ce que ma grand-mère appèlerait une bonne erreur. J'ai d'abord pensé le faire avec deux rangées mais me rendant compte que j'allais gaspiller de l'espace j'ai été chercher une autre planche sans me rendre compte qu'elle était plus large. J'ai penser le ramener mais finalement j'ai décidé que la rangée du bas serait tout simplement plus large, me permettant d'y mettre deux rangées de fil de surjet quoique ça ne paraisse pas sur la photo.

La planche à fil du bas est en fait un 2x8x6 que j'ai fait couper en deux pour la suite les attacher ensemble. Contrairement aux instructions postées hier, j'ai utilisé du papier à masquer d'un pouce et demi pour indiquer les positions des clous, avec une marge de 1 pouce sur tous les côtés. Après avoir cloué les 7 ou 8 rangées verticales à droite, je me suis rendue compte qu'il n'y avait pas assez de place pour les plus grosses bobines. J'ai donc décidé de sauter une rangée verticale et horizontale, excepter pour la dernière rangée à gauche que j'ai fait comme celles à droites. J'étais certaine qu'il y aurait des dizaines de clous vides. Leur angle a été déterminé par la position naturelle de ma main sur la planche lorsque je tenais les clous avant de le marteler. Je les ai alignés verticalement à vue d'œil sur les lignes que j'avais tracé sur le papier à masquer.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

OpenID peacockchic said...

ahhh nothing like a newly organized room, especially a craft room!

11:34 PM  
Blogger Sheila said...

I can't stop staring at the first picture... wooweee!

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home