Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Knitting and reading/Tricot et lecture

Francais plus bas

My needles have been idle since I finished the beret. Not for lack of a project but because I have to wait, or at least I'm making myself wait until Feb 15th to start it. Why? Well the Sistah knit club is doing a knit and crochet along (KCAL) and we are free to choose whatever we want to do. At first I thought of Eunny Jang's Print o'the Wave stole because I haven't done lace yet but I will be making Simply Marilyn, a free pattern offered by IK. I had been thinking about ripping the poncho I abandoned months ago to make a pullover and I kid you not this pattern it's nearly exactly like what I had in mind except that my version was going to have 3/4 sleeves though I may still do that. I must have come across it on Crafster though I have been staring at it everytime I buy IK, it usually is the picture seen on the subscription cards. The only drawback to this sweater is that 40" is the smallest bust size. Though I suspect that I have a few pounds over the model, that is still to big, it would be more like the Big Sack sweater. So now I'm pondering whether I'll just have make it with less stitches or use smaller needles, I've seen both done with success. The advantage of using smaller needles would that I won't have to recalculate the decreases that will be necessary. I guess I will have to swatch to see what the best option will be.


In the mean time I've gotten my hands on The Golden Compass, the first of the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. I was intrigued because the reviews of the movie (I haven't seen it yet) talked about how it veered from the book, eschewing some of the more controversial religious aspects of the story. So far I like it but I have to say that I'm struggling with the fact that it's not written in JK Rowling's voice but I'm getting over it. When Mrs Coulter is first described in the book I didn't think that Nicole Kidman was a the one to play her but I'm not halfway done yet and I realize that it's a perfect fit.

Mes aiguilles sont demeurées inactives depuis que j'ai terminé mon béret, non pas parce que je n'ai pas encore trouvé de nouveau projet mais parce que je me force d'attendre au 15 février. Pourquoi? Le club de tricot des blacks organise une session où l'on fait un projet commun en même temps soit au tricot ou au crochet pendant un mois. La variante cette fois est que nous somme libres de choisir le projet qui nous chante et bien que j'ai pensé me faire une écharpe car je n'ai pas encore fait de dentelle tricotée jusqu'à présent, j'ai finalement choisi de faire Simply Marilyn, un modèle gratuit proposé par le magazine Interweave Knits. Avant l'annonce du projet je pensais déjà défaire le poncho que j'ignore depuis quelque temps pour me faire un chandail et je vous le jure que ce modèle ressemble presqu'en tout point à ce que j'avais en tête, la seule différence étant que je pensais faire les manches trois quarts. Le seul défaut est que la plus petite taille fait 100 cm à la poitrine et bien que j'ai quelques kilos de plus que le mannequin, c'est tout de même trop grand. J'hésite entre utiliser une aiguille plus petite ou diminuer le nombre de mailles, j'ai vu les deux options et ils ont donné de bons succès. L'avantage d'utiliser une aiguille plus petite est que je n'aurai pas à recalculer les diminutions à faire. Je devrai donc faire des échantillons pour décider.

En attendant je suis en train de lire Les Royaumes du Nord, le premier tome de la trilogie À la Croisée des mondes de Philip Pullman. J'ai été attiré par cette série après avoir lu les critiques du film La Boussole d'or (que je n'ai pas vu) qui parlaient du fait qu'il évitait les propos anti-religieux controversé du livre. Jusqu'à présent je dois dire que j'ai un peu de difficulté avec le fait qu'il ne soit pas écrit à la manière de JK Rowling (oui je sais qu'il précède À l'École des Sorciers chronologiquement) mais je m'y fais. Lorsque Mme Coulter apparaît la première fois, je ne comprenais pas pourquoi Nicole Kidman a été choisie pour ce rôle, mais maintenant je comprends pourquoi elle était parfaite pour ce rôle.



Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Montreal Mama said...

Oh, that pink sweater is gorgeous. Just saved the pattern. If I ever find time to knit myself a sweater - LOL.

12:23 AM  
Blogger k_purls2 said...

I like the sweater! I think the blue color you are working with will be very beautiful on you.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home