Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Sophia Carry-all/Fourre-tout Sophia

Pattern: Sophia carry-all by Amy Butler
Fabric: Outer: leftover wool fabric (probably wool blend) from my stash, liner: cute cotton fashioney print again from my stash
Time required: One week but not every single night
Modifications: I didn't use the out fabric to make the piping and I used a piece of strong cardboard to make the false bottom inside

It is done! Overall not too bad actually, it was the first time that I've done a project that has piping. I had bought a liner to go inside it but when I was about to start cutting I remembered this cute cotton fabric I had. I didn't planning on doing the piping cord with the liner but then I had an inspiration.

While I was putting it together I was convinced that there was a mistake. Looking at different finished pictures of the bag it seemed that mine wouldn't be as wide at the bottom but in the end it was just fine.


Oddly enough it looks larger than it is in real life I might add.

Positives:

  • It was relatively easy to do. Even putting in the piping wasn't that bad even if I had an issue when I was putting the top and the bottom of the outer bag together but I actually expected that.

  • The instructions were relatively easy to follow and there was no major "what the f*ck" moments caused them by which I mean that I didn't have to go back to my sewing training to figure out what I had to do.

  • I also like the fact that the colourful piping makes the bag a little less serious.

Negatives:

  • So much interfacing! And ironing all that interfacing...

  • They had different sets of cutting instructions depending on the width of the fabric used so that was confusing since I didn't understand why.

  • And maybe I calculated wrong since I live in a metric world but I ran out fusible fleece before I cut out my last piece but I think that maybe I'm the messed up.

  • I also missed the bit where the materials list asks for a purse zipper (with two pull tabs) so I used a regular one. No biggie but that means that I may have to completely open the bag when it will be least practical to do so when I will need to dig for something.

  • I don't get why they have us chase down some plastic template for the bottom. I did buy some but I will return it because I used a piece of rigid cardboard I happened to have, the kind you use to make inspiration boards for example and it's probably much easier to find in a craft store.

  • Again maybe I made a mistake but the pocket for the false bottom was too small, by maybe a quarter inch so I made another one that has ¼ inch of ease all around.

  • I wished the straps were longer in order to carry it at the shoulder. With my bulky winter coat I will have to carry it a the forearm and that is what my friend calls a Sophia bag for the matriarch from the Golden Girls.

The horror:

  • Well there's a spot of of bunching at one of the bottom corners but not enough for me to lose sleep over.

Patron: Fourre tout Sophia de Amy Butler
Tissus: Extérieur: Tissus en laine (probablement mélangé avec autres choses) de ma réserve personnelle, doublure: cotonnade imprimé venant aussi de ma réserve
Temps requis: Une semaine mais pas à tous les jours
Modifications: J'ai utilisé le tissu de la doublure pour faire le cordon passepoilé et j'ai aussi utilisé un carton rigide pour le fonds du sac.

Et oui le sac est terminé. J'avais acheté du tissu à doublure exprès pour ce projet mais au moment de la coupe j'ai pensé à utiliser à la place cette cotonnade que j'avais dans mes trucs. Par contre je ne planifiais l'utiliser pour le passepoil, ça a été une inspiration de dernière minute. C'était la première fois que je faisais un projet avec du cordon passepoilé.

En l'assemblant j'étais convaincu qu'il y avait une erreur dans mes pièces, je trouvais que le morceau du bas avait l'air assez petit par rapport aux photos que j'ai vu d'autres sacs terminés mais évidemment il n'y avait pas de quoi s'inquiéter.

Points positifs:

  • Il a été relativement facile à assembler, même le cordon passepoilé n'a pas posé trop de difficultés. J'ai sacré un peu en assemblant l'extérieur du sac mais bon.

  • Les instructions étaient relativement faciles à suivre, il n'y avait pas d'erreurs qui m'auraient obligé à sortir mes livres de couture

  • J'aime bien le fait que le cordon rend le sac un peu moins sérieux.

Point négatifs:

  • Tant d'entoilage! Et tout ce repassage!

  • Il y have différentes instructions de coupe selon la largeur de tissus employée et j'ai trouvé ça un peu confus.

  • J'ai peut être mal fait la conversion entre des mesures impériales et métriques mais j'ai manqué d'entoilage en polar avant d'avoir coupé le dernier morceau.

  • Je n'ai pas remarqué qu'on demandait un fermoir à bourse (avec deux tirettes). Ce n'est pas si grave mais ça veut dire que je sera peut-être obligée d'ouvrir le sac de bord en bord à un moment inopportun pour aller fouiller dans le fond.

  • Je ne comprend pas pourquoi on demande d'utiliser du plastique rigide pour le fond alors que du carton rigide pourrait faire l'affaire et est probablement plus facile à trouver.

  • Je me suis peut être encore trompée mais la pochette où l'on doit glisser le fond rigide n'était pas assez large, je l'ai refait avec un quart de pouce d'aisance tout autour.

  • J'aurais préféré que les bretelles soient plus longues afin de pouvoir porter le sac à l'épaule avec le gros manteau d'hiver.

L'horreur:

  • J'ai un petit faux-plis dans un des coins du sac mais il ne me dérange pas du tout.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks great! Thanks for the review of this pattern, it'll help when I get to (eventually) making it.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Berry said...

Très chouette sac! J'aime beaucoup le tissu que tu as utilisé en doublure.

4:50 AM  
Blogger KimT said...

i love this! I have a wallet made with the lining fabric. I would love to get some.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Two Cables and a Frapp said...

You did a wonderful job on this. I love your blog and have added it to my blog roll !

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow thanks for the wonderful tips on this bag. I have the pattern and am itching to make it. Now with your review I have some good points to pay attention too in the future.

Love the fabric choices. Great job!

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home