Thursday, November 01, 2007

Traveling in London/Se déplacer à Londres

Français plus bas

Sorry for the lack of Travel stories. I've been settling back and I've joined a challenge in the nappy hair forum I participate in. Basically, one person asked for hints on how to be organized and presto, a challenge was born. I usually don't participate in the different challenges that come up but since I have serious lacks in domestic skills, I decided it was high time to change my ways. I may get to that another time.

Before I start I have to Mary J, I totally agree with your comment. In fact the whole time I was walking inside the British museum, I kept thinking that it's a good thing the Brits have acquired, pillaged and confiscated with a discerning eye, it made for a spectacular museum.

In London, I travelled either on foot or on the Underground. Lucky for me I was told I should buy an Oyster card (bus pass) for cheaper rates. If had payed cash, it would have cost me 4GBP (7.90$C). One way. I had put money on the card and have it deducted, then it would be between 2.95$C and 3.95$C (I correctly figured that I'd be travelling between zones 1 and 2), one way with a max of 11.80$C for a day. The rates also vary between peak and off-peak hours.

I chose to buy a weekly pass that cost me 60$C so it came to the a bit less the pay as you go except that I didn't have to worry about scanning the card all the time (though I had to get in and out of the underground and to get on a bus). If I had chosen the pay as you go scheme then I would have paid the maximum fare if I didn't scan the card on the way out. Plus if you get a Travelcard like I did, you get all sorts of rebates like a 1/3 off the fares for those tours on the River Thames, London transit has ferry services too.

The underground is easy to figure out, no more complicated then Montreal's metro even if it has three times more lines. Unlike NYC subways, I didn't have to worry about getting in the wrong train car. I even rode a double decker a couple of times. JK Rowling didn't exaggerate too much with the Knightbus. Once you realize it's just a different kind of bus, it's not as exotic as it seems.

Désolée pour le manque d'histoires de voyage, je me réhabitue à ma routine et en plus je participe à un défi lancé dans le forum de cheveux crépus auquel je participe. Quelqu'un demandait conseil sur comment avoir une vie organisée au sitôt dit un défi a été lancé. J'ai décidé d'y adhérer vu que mes talents domestiques laissent à désirer et je tiens à y remédier. J'y reviendrai peut-être un jour.

À Londres donc, je m'y suis promené soit à pied ou dans l'Underground (métro). Heureusement qu'on m'avait avisé de me procurer une passe appelé Oyster card pour mes déplacements. Un allé simple payé comptant reviens à 7,95$C. Si j'avais tout simplement mis de l'argent sur la carte, le système aurait déduit entre 2,95$C et 3.95$C à chaque passage dans la zone 1 et/ou 2 (une chance que j'ai deviné que j'allais circuler entre ces deux zones), avec un maximum de 11,80$C par jour. Les prix varient aussi selon l'heure de la journée.

J'ai préféré acheté une passe pour la semaine qui m'a coûté 60$C, un peu moins que le paiement par aller et en plus je n'avais pas à m'inquiéter de constamment faire scanner ma carte pour ne pas payer le taux maximum. En plus, cette passe (appelé Travelcard) donne aussi accès à toutes sortes de rabais dont 1/3 sur les tours de bateaux sur la Tamise, Londres ayant aussi des ferry intégré dans son réseau de transport.

Il est facile de s'y retrouver dans l'Underground, ce n'es pas plus compliqué que le métro de Montréal malgré le fait qu'il y ait 3 fois plus de lignes. Et contrairement à New-York, on n'a pas à s'inquiéter d'embarquer dans le bon wagon. J'ai aussi utilisé les autobus à deux étages, JK Rowling ne les a pas trop exagérés dans Harry Potter. Une fois qu'on réalise que ce n'est qu'un autre genre d'autobus, ils cessent d'être aussi exotiques.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sometimes scruples don't factor into things. my jury is out as to if the BMuseum should return their pieces. i kind of feel if the country of origin can prove they can take as good or better care of the pieces "acquired" then they can make a move at having them back. either way, i could go on for hours about it. i'm glad you got to go. did you get to camden town?? hoping to see you soon!

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home