Friday, July 06, 2007

Ratatouille

Saw the movie after work (by my lonesome and not ashamed to admit it) and I loved it. Brad Bird (who also did The Incredibles) is a genius storyteller.

I have to say that when I first heard about the movie I wasn't too impressed with the idea. Then I started reading the reviews and seeing the previews and I really wanted to see this movie. I couldn't understand how some reviewers would let their aversion for rats qualify their opinion but I now understand. I won't blow any punches but I yelled eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwweeee!!!! more then once. I don't care if the rat washes his paws before handling the food.

I would say though that this is a kid-friendly grown up movie (usually it's the other way around). I don't know about taking little kids to see it, if you do, be aware that you (the adult) might appreciate it more then they do. It is about fine dining and all that comes with it, a theme that kids may not fully understand (they may get that the critic is evil but they may not get that this movie criticizes critics too) but there's slapstick lowbrow comedy to keep them interested. Whomever has read Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential will recognize the kitchen staff of criminals and I have to say it helped me appreciate the movie even more.

One minor criticism, for Finding Nemo they actually got some Australian actors to play some characters whereas here the all of them are played by Americans even though the movie is set in France. There is a mix of accents that in Gusteau's kitchen makes sense because the staff is of diverse origins (again if you've read Bourdain's book you'd understand) but then the critic is played by Peter O'Toole, Linguini has an awchucks apple pie accent and the rats sound like they're cast-offs from the Sopranos. Speaking of O'Toole, he has a great speach at the end of the movie. I wonder if it was written as is of if they let him run with it, either way, it was a masterful performance.

I have to say that their was a funny reference to Marcel Proust's Madeleines, those who know what that is will know immediatly spot it. I was wondering how they were going to wrap up the movie because, well it is a rat who can cook after all but they did a beautiful job. Personnally, I left the theater with smile on my face, just the I get every time watch Finding Nemo or The Incredibles.

Après avoir été dépenser des calories au gym cet après-midi, j'ai été voir la dernière mouture de Pixar/Disney, Ratatouille (La Ratatouille en français), sans aucun enfant pour cacher le fait que j'allais voir un film pour enfant. Brad Bird, qui a aussi réalisé Les Incroyables a encore une fois concoctée une belle histoire.

Je dois avouer que j'avais entendu parler de ce film il y a quelques mois, je n'étais pas trop impressionnée par l'idée. Cependant lorsque j'ai vu la bande-annonce et que j'ai commencé à lire les critiques, j'ai changé d'idée. Avant de voir le film, je ne comprenais pas pourquoi certaines critiques se laissaient influencer par leur aversion pour les rats mais je comprend maintenant. Je ne venderai pas de punchs mais disont que j'ai crié mon dégoût plus d'une fois. Je veux bien croire que les rats se lavent les pattes avant de tripoter la bouffe mais bon.

Je dirais que ceci un film d'adulte que des enfants pourraient apprécier (d'habitude c'est plutôt l'inverse). Je ne dit pas de jeunes enfants ne aimeraient pas mais disons que l'accompagnateur adulte en saisieraient plus les subtilités. Ce film traite de haute cuisine entre autres, un sujet qui pourrait rebuter certains enfants mais il y de la comédie de bas niveau qu'ils apprécieraient. Si vous avez lu Cuisine et Confidences de Anthony Bourdain, vous reconnaitrez les thèmes abordés dans le film en plus du personnel très peu recommandable qui oeuvre dans la cuisine de Gusteau et je dois avouer que cela m'a aider à apprécier le film encore plus.

Un point négatif: le film se passe en France avec des personnages français pour la plupart mais pourtant le méchant y a un accent British, le jeune Linguini à un accent typique américain et les Rats parlent comme des figurants dans l'émission Les Sopranos. Le personnel de la cuisine est d'origine divers (vous comprendrez si vous lisez Cuisine et Confidences) et les accents sont donc en conséquences.

Il y a à un moment donné un scène qui fait référence aux madeleines de Proust, pour ceux qui savent de quoi je parle, il sera très facilement identifiable et j'ai hâte au DVD afin de voir les autres détails que je n'ai pas remarqué. Je me demandais aussi comment le film se terminerait, on parle tout de même d'un rat qui tripote la bouffe et ça a été très bien fait. Lorsque le générique à commencé à défiler, j'étais tout sourire.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger ~Jo~ said...

I'm happy to read your review about this movie. I'm tempted to bring the kids to see it. :)

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home