Sunday, August 02, 2009

Über easy headbands!/Des bandeaux super faciles!

Français plus bas
There's a mosaic of all the others I made below

I am not cheap. I can't even be called frugal, I could stand to leave my wallet home once in a while. But for some reason I couldn't bring myself to spend money to buy new headbands. I've seen some for 8$C that basically were a strip of jersey fabric and I refused to buy those and I don't know why I couldn't buy the ones sold in drugstore's hairstyling sections (though I had no problem getting the hair clips). I was thinking of digging into my leftover stash to make one and was going to dig for the tute on how to make some out of fat quarters when AfroBella posted a link to an online store that sells headbands.

If 8$ gave me pause, paying between 20 and 40$ for some of the styles proposed, however nice they were, was a nono even as a splurge. Besides, one glance at the products I realized there were simply ribbons either glued on a headband or sewn to what I thought were elastic bands but turned out to be bra straps to make them adjustable.

So I stopped at the fabric store where I picked up 50 cm (20") or a meter (39") of each ribbon that I liked (the longer ribbons were used double stranded) and some elastics. On average the ribbons where about 3.50$C a meter, the one on the bottom left being my "splurge" at 8.25$C a meter (divided by two since I only got 50cm). There were a couple others that I would have gotten but at 16.50$C a meter, I put them back. Fabricville is having a warehouse sale some time this week so I'll go back to see if they're marked down.

I was going to do a tute be really, these are super easy to do, Martha Stewart has a simple tutorial that uses hair elastics as opposed to the regular elastic that I used and they're sewn by hand (though I would do it by machine for a neater, stronger and faster finish). I've put the pics of my headbands on Flickr, including the making of with a few notes. One thing though the sequined ones (top left and last one on the second row) were very stretchy already so I used a twill tape instead of an elastic. For the double stranded one I had them meet at at 45° angle (eyeballed) before sewing them on the elastic or twill tape.

The headband at the top of the page is my favourite (note to self, always put down the toilet's seat whenever taking pics in the bathroom...) because of it's whimsical print but I love all of them. The gold and silver ones will be left for going out but who knows, I could find a reason to wear them in the day time. I like the third one on the first row and the last one on the last row because the ribbon's colour disappears on my hair and that makes them look like a delicate metallic headband. The white lace is the only white one because to me, the others would have made too much of a bridal look. The cougar print is just hilarious to me.

Click the pic for a larger view/Cliquez sur la mosaïque pour agrandire

Je ne suis pas radine, on ne même pas dire que je suis frugale, je devrais même peut être penser laisser mon portefeuille à la maison de temps à autre. Mais je ne pouvais me décider à dépenser 8$ pour un bandeau pour mes cheveux. J'en avait vu un à ce prix en magasin et c'était essentiellement un morceau de tissu jersey cousu et je n'arrivais pas à me décider à en acheter en pharmacie non plus quoique je n'ai pas d'objection à acheter des pince et autres barrettes. Je commençais à penser à aller fouiller dans mes retailles pour y trouver un morceau de jersey, je commençais même à me décider à chercher les instructions que j'ai déjà vu pour des bandeaux fait avec des fat quarters lorsqu'Afrobella a posté un lien vers une ligne de bandeaux.

Si je trouvais 8$ dispendieux, disons que les 20 à 40$C exigés pour ces modèles, aussi jolis soient ils, étaient impensables. De toute façon, un rapide coup d'oeil aux produits offerts et je me suis rendu compte que c'étaient tout simplement des rubans cousus sur ce que je crois être un élastique mais qui c'est avéré en fait être des bretelles ajustables comme pour les soutiens-gorges.

J'ai donc été faire un tour à la mercerie où j'ai déniché plusieurs rubans que j'ai acheté par 50 cm (ou un mètre pour ceux au je voulais utilisée en double) ainsi que des rubans élastiques. En moyenne ils coûtaient 3.50$C le mêtre, le plus cher étant celui en bas à gauche à 8.25$C le mètre (mais dont je n'ai acheter que 50cm). Il y en avait des jolies à 16.50$ mais je préfère attendre la vente d'entrepôt de Fabricville pour voir s'ils seront substantiellement réduits.

J'allais écrire des instructions sur comment faire ces bandeaux mais Martha Stewart a des explications très simples sur son site qui emploie du ruban, des élastiques ronds à cheveux et c'est cousu à la main (quoique j'assemblerais tout ça à la machine pour une fini plus propre et plus solide). J'ai mis les photos des bandeaux, ainsi que leur "making of", dans mon compte Flickr. Les rubans qui étaient déjà assez élastiques ont été cousus avec des rubans non élastiques. Pour les rubans utilisés en double, je les ai fait se croiser à un angle d'environ 45° avant de les coudre sur l'élastique.

Le bandeau au tout début de ce billet est mon préféré à cause de son imprimé amusant. Le doré et l'argenté seront surtout pour mes sorties le soir mais on ne sait jamais, je pourrais les mettre le jour aussi. Le troisième sur la première rangée ainsi que le tout dernier sur la dernière rangée sont intéressantes parce la couleur du ruban se fond dans mes cheveux ce qui donne l'impression de délicats bandeaux métalliques. Le bandeau blanc est le seul de cette couleur car je trouvais que les autres faisant un peu trop mariage. Quant à l'imprimé léopard, je le trouvais simplement drôle (si vous savez ce que les anglos veulent dire lorsqu'ils parlent de "cougar", vous comprendrdez pourquoi).

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger WineGrrl said...

Hey, those are lovely!

You could sell them...I'd buy some!

2:55 PM  
Blogger elbereth said...

I just love 'em! You did a fantastic job!

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home