Saturday, February 03, 2007

Why? Pourquoi?

So why did I cut my hair? Two words: traction alopecia. And since it looked like it was getting worse, I figured I'd cut to the quick and just lopped it all off. OK the barber did it, after bitching for 10 mins, and he was the second one I went to, another one who's closer to my place told me he didn't cut women's hair out of principle. To answer méméeflyé's question, the trauma was really about letting go of the locks I had left and not about the cut itself but then I didn't have the possibility of shortening the hair until I got rid of it. I looked away while the locs were cut off so I still jump when I see my reflection in a window or a mirror in a store because I still expect to see Medusa looking back at me.

I've now been natural for a little over 10 years, longer in fact then I had my hair straight, but thanks to Nappturality and the book Hair rules, I now know more about how to take care of my hair now then all of my life. But I have to count myself lucky, unlike some of the participants in the nappy hair forum, I didn't grow up hating any of my negro features, I was never told that there was something inherently wrong , in fact the hair straightening episode was simply the norm I followed until I decided that it was too much upkeep. One thing about Haitian hair salons is that you know what time you'll get there, there's no way to know when you'll leave and that was another reason to stop that madness. Lucky for me, in the mid 90s there was a natural hair renaissance of sorts so it was easier then to go natural. And I refuse to go back to the chemicals. In no way so I judge the women who do so, heck you can wear a weave or a wig for all I care but puhleaze, if you don't have the money to maintain it properly, let it go.

I realise that some of you have no idea of what I'm talking about so I suggest you go here for more info. It's more of the Afro-American point of view but some of it applies to all.

In knitting news, I'm done knitting the baby urchin and it's another happy accident. Pics and pattern to follow.

Pourquoi ai-je coupé mes cheveux? Une chute de cheveux par traction. Et vu que ça allait en s'aggravant, j'ai décidé de les couper une fois pour toute. Le premier barbier que j'ai été voir a refusé de le faire par principe (il ne coupait pas les cheveux des femmes) et celui qui me l'a fait ne l'a pas fait de gaieté de coueur. Pour répondre à la question de méméeflyé, la difficulté de la décision ne tenant pas tant au fait de couper les cheveux mais plutôt au deuil des nattes qu'il me restait. Je n'ai pas regardé lorsqu'on my couper les nattes et la conséquence en est que je ne reconnaît pas toujours mon reflet dans les fenêtres ou dans les mirroirs en magasin car je m'attend à revoir ma tête de Méduse.

Cela fait maintenant un peu plus de dix ans que j'ai arrêté de me défriser les cheveux mais grâce des sites comme Nappturality et le livre Hair rules, j'en sais plus maintenant sur la façon d'entretenir mes cheveux que durant toute ma vie! Je dois avouer que je me compte chanceuse, contrairement à plusieures Noires, je n'ai pas grandi en détestant mes traits négroïdes, on ne m'a jamais dit qu'ils avaient quelque chose de négatif. En fait, la période passée à me défriser mes cheveux n'était qu'une forme de conformisme mais j'ai arrêté tout ça lorsque j'ai décidé que cela exigeait trop d'entretien. Et aussi j'en avais soupé des salons de coiffure haïtiens où on pouvait prévoir l'heure à laquelle on y entrait mais pas quand est-ce qu'on allait en sortir. Heureusement que vers la moitié de la dernière décennie il y a une forme d'acceptation des cheveux naturels sous toutes ses formes et ça a rendu la chose plus facile. Je refuse de retourner aux produits chimiques mais par contre, je ne juge pas non plus les femmes qui choisissent de le faire, tout comme je ne suis pas automatiquement contre les perruques et les pièces de cheveux rajoutées en autant que vous en ayez les moyens.

Je sais que certains n'avez aucune idée de ce dont je parle donc je suggère que vous alliez faire un tour ici pour en savoir plus.

Quant au tricot, j'ai fini mon bébé oursin et tout comme la dernière fois en essayant de créer un modèle, j'en ai créé un autre plus intéressant. Photos et instructions à suivre.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Peacock Chic said...

Well, I am sorry to hear you had to cut your hair for that reason, but I think it looks wonderful.

Thanks for the links as well because I passed them on to my sisters.

I am a firm believer in what India.Arie says "I am not my hair"

12:34 PM  
Blogger Memeeflye said...

I cut my hair 3 big times. Once to get rid of perm. Freedom. 2nd to cut my locks after close to 7 years. sadness. Then last- to get rid of my ex-husband. Unfettered.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home