Monday, December 18, 2006

The Holy Grail/La pierre philosophale

Why am I showing off my new pair of jeans? Because for me, finding a pair of pants that fit properly, let alone a pair of jeans, is akin to finding the Holy Grail. With my thunder thighs and my bootylicious backside and my relatively smaller waist, I cannot troll the discount places for them, I have to get them at higher ends stores like Parasuco or Mavi. I had decided that I was going to acquire a new pair of jeans for Christmas (for absolutely no particular reason) and since I was given this afternoon off, I figured I may as well go on the hunt. First off Mavi, where in spite of asking for medium rise jeans, I was given a pair of low rise that may as well be super low rise. I checked the label and it did say low rise and the clerk had the nerve to say don't pay attention to the label. I was then given what was labelled as medium rise and they actually were, but that a touch too low in the back. Then I decided to go to Mexx. The first pair I tried on fit fine but they had the stove pipe legs that don't look too flattering on me but right next to the dressing room was this pair. The size label didn't make since, it said US size 10 to which they added 30 to make a Canadian size 40. Saw that on the other pair I tried, they were US 12 Canada 42. Meaning what? Too big or too small? But they were perfect. FYI: the great thing about shopping in the States for us Canadians, is that we have to go down a couple of sizes. Makes you wonder about those size 0s or even the fact that the average American is a size 14... I love this pair, mostly because it is not a typical boot cut, it's more of a trouser pant made of denim. I also like the fact the waist band is made more like men's trouser (yes, I'm wearing froggy undies). I still have to shorten them and to take them in a bit at the waist, child's play. I guess those jeans are a consolation prize for my sweater, I have to rip the whole thing and start over. I had decided at a late hour to do a wet block (I usually steam the pieces) and they are now ginormous. Thankfully I have lots of yarn to keep me busy. And from now on, I'll have to make a massive swatch because I can't seem to get my gauges right...


Je vous montre ma nouvelle paire de jeans parce que trouver une paire de pantalon qui me fasse en général, les jeans en particulier est comme trouver la pierre philosophale. Avec mes bottes de cheval et mon train arrière protubérant, je ne peux magasiner dans les magasins tels que Gap ou Old Navy. Celles que je possède viennent de Parasuco et Mavi. J'avais décidé de m'acheter une nouvelle paire et vu que j'ai eu congé cet après-midi, j'ai été à la chasse. D'abord Mavi, où malgré le fait que j'ai demandé une taille moyenne, on m'a remis un taille basse, à la limite légale. Le vendeur a même eu l'audace de dire d'ignorer l'étiquette. J'ai finalement eu la paire que je voulais mais il était juste un peu trop court à la tailler en arrière. Je suis ensuite allée chez Mexx. La première paire que j'ai essayée était correct mais avait les jambes droites et restreintes qui ne vont pas avec mes hanches. Mais, à côté de la cabine, il y avait cette paire. L'étiquette était dure à comprendre: cela disait US 10 et Canada 40. Trop grand ou trop petite? Parfaite. Un mot en passant: ce que j'aime lorsque je magasine chez les Américains est le fait que je doive acheter des vêtements de taille plus petites qu'ici. Mais j'adore ces jeans, ils ont une coupe qui ressemble plus à des pantalons classiques et j'aime bien le détail masculin de la bande de taille (oui je parte des culottes avec des grenouilles). Je dois quand même les raccourcir et les reprendre un peu à la taille, un jeu d'enfant. J'imagine que c'est ma consolation pour le chandail que j'ai raté. J'avais décidé de le bloquer à une heure tardive en utilisant la méthode de rinçage (d'habitude je le fait à la vapeur). Il maintenant énorme. Je le déferrai pour récupérer la laine. Et dorénavant, je ferai des échantillons presque de taille réelle afin d'avoir le bon nombre de mailles et de rangées.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations on the new jeans. it's my time, too, to try & find a new pair. That fit.

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're up for looking for another pair anytime soon, Parasuco is having a wicked sale for Boxing Week: most of the merch in store will be 50% off!

4:17 PM  
Blogger K. said...

Nice jeans are always good, they always help to make one feel seeeeeeexy!

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home