Sunday, May 21, 2006

Calgary

Français plus bas


View pictures on the view from my hotel
I'm back from Calgary. In spite of the fact that I was stuck in a hotel for the week it was great because I escaped most evenings. The trip itself was ok though I have a slight fear of falling out of the sky or maybe technology fails and two jetliners collide. In other words every time I fly I figure my life will and in a ball of flames... First of all, the Man at the check point at the Airport took too close a look at my straight needles but he was focused on swabbing my laptop for explosives. Found out the morning I was leaving that I was flying Westjet. Last year while I was waisting away in Cornwall (again for work) my friend Annie and I went shopping at a supermarket called No Frills. Think less service then a Maxi store (and you have to pay for you plastic bag, not a bad thing) and now that I think about it I'm surprised the that it didn't have automatic cashiers. Anyway No Frills came to mind while I was flying. First of all, we were all packed like sardines and you had to pay for almost everything, I was surprised that I was offered a free drink and bag of peanuts. I was willing to pay 5$ to watch the Chronicles of Narnia but the machine wouldn't accept my credit card so I watched Angelina Jolie's biography instead. I also discovered the TV Invasion (of course at the moment were they're talking cancellation...) I was expecting an overbearingly friendly staff but it was ok, no games, no singing, a joke at the landing (a husband asks his wife why single gals were skinnier. She respond «well, a single girl goes home, looks in her fridge and sees nothing of interest and then goes to bed. A married woman goes home, looks in her bedroom and sees nothing of interest and then goes to the fridge...). I must say though that the android who was maning the boarding gate was a little creepy...

Monday

I knew that it was supposed to be warm in Calgary this week but I didn't expect it to be scorchingly hot. I kept teasing my friends back in Montreal about how hot it was and how my wardrobe was not adequate (I brought 8 pairs of shoes!!! For five days!!!). Anyway, I decided Monday after the meeting to check out the yarn stores. Turned out Make one Yarn store, a suggestion of Nadine's, was within walking distance of my hotel so I went. It was great, walls of books and yarn, sofas, table and chairs. You might call it a knit lounge instead of a knit store. I also met Amy Swenson the owner. Lovely and friendly and helpful. She was having a sale on Phildar, 5$ a skein if you bought a Phildar book. I bought the current Phildar magazine (didn't know they had one) that had tons of interesting and nice patterns. Bought some Phildar Aviso (60% cotton, 40% ick). I had forgotten my camera when I went but I had to go back the next day because I didn't check the yardage per skein (68 m per 50g) and I was able to do the tourist thing.

PS: Check out Phildar's site, they have some nice free patterns.

Tuesday

I wanted to check out the Smilin' Buddha tattoo parlor but unfortunately they were booked solid for the week and only had took walk-ins on Saturday. I thought about going somewhere else but I have a permanent reminder of what happens when you settle for what you don't want so I figured I'd check out Tattoomania in Montreal instead or maybe go back to the place that did my second tattoo. Instead we got to check out Calgary's trendy 17 St SW.

Wednesday

Went for a walk and then stayed in my room to knit. Finished the streaker shrug but I'll have to wait for the next time the sun comes out to take a picture because an the yarn is too dark and bad lighting etc.

Thursday

Went to Banff , an hour and a half from Calgary. After the meeting of course. Didn't feel like going because I'd been there and 6 years ago and I didn't think I'd enjoy it a second but let me tell you, if you have a chance to go the Rockies, just go. Lucky for me it didn't take much to convince me. Pictures just can't render the massiveness of it all, had to remind the driver to keep her eyes on the road.. Bought all sorts of nicknacks, ate great ribs, had a mud pie... so wrong yet so wonderfull. it was a great evening.

Friday

Flew back on Air Canada. Sat next to a 300 lbs man, I was at the window seat so going to the bathroom was out of the question. The worst part of that situation was the fact that he reeked of Eau the Ashtray. This time I couldn't knit on the plane because I didn't have the proper needles in plastic. Bought some chick lit (Wolves in chic clothing) and zone out to T.O. Grabbed another flight and now I'm finally home. Hope I don't step into a plane anytime soon...




Diaporama de prise de vue de mon hotel
De retour de Calgary. Je ne me suis pas trop senti pognée à l'hotel vu que j'ai réussi à m'y échapper presque tout les soirs. Le voyage en lui-même a été sans incident mais je dois avouer tout de même que j'ai cette peur que l'avion tombe carrément du ciel. Mes aiguilles à tricoter ont attiré l'attention du cerbère à la sécurité mais il a été distrait par mon ordinateur portable. Juste avant d'embarquer dans le taxi j'ai su que je voyagerais avec Westjet à l'aller. Disons que le service compris n'incluait pas grand chose, il fallait même payer si on voulait voir un film, chose que j'étais prête à faire mais la machine y voyait autrement. Je m'attendais à un service trop amical mais finalement c'était quand même bien, pas de jeux, ni de chansons à répondre, une blague à l'atterrissage (un homme demande à sa femme comment il se faisait que les femmes célibataires était si minces. Elle lui répond qu'une célibataire rentre à la maison, regarde dans son réfrigérateur, n'y trouve rien d'intéressant et va se coucher. Une femme mariée rentre à la maison, regarde dans son lit et n'y trouve rien d'intéressant et va au réfrigérateur...). Je dois tout de même avouer que l'androïde qui travaillait au quai d'embarquement faisait un peu peur...

Lundi

Je savais qu'il était supposé de faire très chaud cette semaine mais je ne m'attendais pas au fait que ma garde-robe était inadaptée presqu'en totalité (J'avais apporté 8 paires de souliers pour une semaine!). Mais après la première réunion j'ai décidé d'aller visiter un magasin d'article de tricot et coïncidence, le magasin que Nadine m'avais proposé, Make one Yarn store, était le plus proche, je pouvais y aller à pied. C'était très bien, des murs de fils et de livre, des canapés ainsi qu'une table et chaise. C'était plus un salon de tricot qu'un magasin. J'y ai aussi rencontré Amy swenson, la propriétaire très gentille et serviable. Il y avait une vente sur les produit Phildar à l'achat d'un magazine Phildar(je ne savais pas qu'ils en faisaient) qui contenaient plusieurs patrons intéressants. J'y ai acheté du Phildar Aviso (60% coton, 40% acrylique). J'avais oublié ma caméra mais vu que je n'avais pas vérifier le métrage d'une balle (68m pour 50g) j'y suis retourné et ai pu jouer à la touriste.

PS: Allez sur le site de Phildar, il y a de jolie patrons gratuits.

Mardi

Je voulais allez au salon de tatouage Smilin' Buddha mais il affichait complet pour la semaine et ne prenait les sans rendez-vous que le samedi. J'ai pensé aller ailleurs mais la dernière fois que j'ai fait une telle chose je me suis retrouvé avec un tatouage de piètre qualité. Je préfère aller chez Tattoomania, là où je voulais aller la première fois ou encore retourner là où j'ai fait faire mon second tatouage. Nous sommes allé à la place sur la 17e Rue SO, l'équivalent de notre rue Crescent.

Mercredi.

Suis allé me promener et par la suite j'ai terminé mon Streaker shrug dans ma chambre. Malheuresement il est impossible prendre une photo décente à l'intérieur tant la couleur est foncée. D'ici a ce que le soleil sorte pour de bon, j'en publierai une.

Jeudi

Je suis allé à Banff, à une heure et demie de Calgary. Après la réunion évidemment. Je ne voulais pas y aller vu que j'y ai été il y a 6 ans mais heureusement qu'on m'a convaincu d'y aller. Évidemment les photos ne peuvent montrer la grandeur des lieus, j'ai du rappeler maintes fois à la conductrice de garder les yeux sur la route.. J'y acheter toute sorte de babioles, ai mangé d'excellentes côtes levées, ai mangé un gateau à la crème glacée au chocolat et brisure de biscuit Oréo. Magnifique. Une excellente soirée.

Jeudi

Je suis allé à Banff, à une heure et demie de Calgary. Après la réunion évidemment. Je ne voulais pas y aller vu que j'y ai été il y a 6 ans mais heureusement qu'on m'a convaincu d'y aller. Évidemment les photos ne peuvent montrer la grandeur des lieus, j'ai du rappeler maintes fois à la conductrice de garder les yeux sur la route.. J'y acheter toute sorte de babioles, ai mangé d'excellentes côtes levées, ai mangé un gateau à la crème glacée au chocolat et brisure de biscuit Oréo. Magnifique. Une excellente soirée.

Vendredi

De retour sur des vols d'Air Canada. Heureusement que je suis la première arrivée à mon siège car une fois que mon voisin de 300 lbs (qui empestait le fond de cendrier) s'est assis, il était hors de question que je me lève. Je n'ai pu tricoté cette fois car je n'avais pas d'aiguilles en plastique de la grandeur que j'utilisais. J'ai donc acheté de la littérature de pitoune (Wolves in chic clothing) pour me tenir occupé. Après un changement à Toronto, me voici enfin de retour à Montréal. En espérant que je revolerai pas de sitôt.

1 Comments:

Blogger K. said...

Can't wait to see the shrug pics!

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home