Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Pure folly/Pure folie


With the scooter season quickly coming to an end, I set off after work to get my hands on an umbrella. My requirements were quite simple: opens and collapses with the click of a button (very usual for getting in and out quickly of a metro station,) about 20$ (because I know that any less and it would go into a garbage can after on rainstorm), black and short (yet strong).

First I went to Winners (TJ Maxx) were I know I could get my hands on a high end brand for less but no dice. Then I went to the no longer Canadian department store where I found several choices. It was not my intention to buy a Marimekko print umbrella but once I let go of the idea of getting a black umbrella, first I found a a red number with gold horizontal stripes from another brand but then I opened up this one. Even before I looked in the mirror, the "thud" sound it made suggested that it would have gone through Katrina unscathed and suddenly, the fact that it cost twice as much as I intended initially mattered little. I think I will bring it to the office tomorrow to have my initials engraved, might even invest in a locating device, no way I'm losing this one...

The yarn on the sewing table is a recent purchase, I plan on making Véronik Avery's Lace Ribbon scarf with it.


Avec la saison de scooter qui tire rapidement à sa fin, je suis allé faire un tour dans les magasins pour y trouver un parapluie. Mes conditions étaient très simples: Environ 20$ (parce qu'à moins cher elle ne survivrait pas au premier coup de vent), s'ouvre et se ferme en appuyant sur un bouton (pratique pour entrer et sortir rapidement du métro), noir et court.

D'abord j'ai été chez Winners où je pouvais trouver une bonne marque pour moins cher mais pas cette fois. J'ai donc été faire un tour au magasin à rayon où il y avait plusieurs choix. Ce n'était pas mon intention de me procurer un parapluie avec un imprimé Marimekko mais une fois que j'ai laché prise de l'idée du parapluie noir, j'ai d'abord trouvé un rouge à rayure doré (d'une autre marque) que je trouvais assez festif mais une fois que j'ai ouvert celui-ci, s'en était de mon intention de limiter la dépense. Avant même de me regarder dans le miroir, le bruit sourd qu'il a fait en s'ouvrant suggérait qu'il faudrait rien de moins que l'ouragan Katrina pour en venir à bout. Au prix que je l'ai payé, je crois bien que je vais l'emmener au bureau pour y faire graver mes initiales, je pense même y mettre un bidule pour le retracer en cas de perte...

Quand au fil de tricot sur la table, c'est une récente acquisition. J'ai l'intention d'en faire le foulard Lace Ribbon de Véronik Avery.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger The Original Wombman said...

"I think I will bring it to the office tomorrow to have my initials engraved, might even invest in a locating device, no way I'm losing this one..."

What a cute umbrella! I agree, it'd be a shame to lose it!

Oh, I think that color yarn would look so nice used for that pattern. Can't wait to see the end result. What kind of yarn is it?

3:07 PM  
Blogger Hair Evolution said...

I love your blog!I found your blog when searching the web for an afro knitting project. I love your Afro Sweater that you completed last October. Truly an inspiration!
~ Peace
Soleil Beaudoin

10:55 AM  
Blogger Two Cables and a Frapp said...

Well, one good thing, the umbrella does have a bit of black in it. It really is a pretty thing. One does not usually find them pretty and sturdy. I love the yarn and was going over that pattern yesterday. I may make it after I do a sweater as I've been knitting up too many accessories.

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home